Somnath Temple is also known as the Eternal Shine and is located at Veraval
port in Saurashtra, Gujarat. It is believed according to the Hindu Mythology that
no pilgrimage is complete without visiting this Temple that is build to Honour
Lord Shiva. It is one of the most amazing and oldest Temples in India and it also
has a mention in Rig Veda, Skandpuran,
Shivpuran, and Shreemad Bhagavad Geeta. Out of the total 12 Jyotirlingas, this
Temple is said to be the first.
The Temple is said to be Eternal because it was destroyed six times in history
but still every time, was rebuilt in glory. The Garbhagraha, the
Sabhamandapam, and the Nrityamandapam are the three main parts of the
Temple. The Linga is made of iron, and the roof of the sanctum is made of
loadstone. It is said that if you are going to take a dip in the Someshwar Kund,
you will be getting rid of all your sins.
- Somnath Temple is well connected by Railways and Air. The nearest
airport is Diu, which is 85 km away. The nearest railway station is
Somnath and regular train service is available from all major cities in
- The temple opens for general Darshan at 6:00 AM and closes at 10 PM.
The timings of the Aarti the main shrine is 7 AM, 12 Noon and 7 PM.
- A Light and Sound show titled “Jay Somnath” is performed daily between
8 PM and 9 PM.
- Items such as Belts, Mobile phones, Cameras and Shoes are not allowed
inside the temple.
- Maintain silence inside the temple.
- Online Darshan facility is also available for people.
- Wheelchair facilities for disabled and senior citizens are available at the
gate of the temple.
- Dresses such as mini-skirts, revealing tops, shorts, etc. should be
- There is lift inside the temple for elderly people.
- Footwear is not allowed inside the temple premises and you need to
remove them before entering the gates.
- Smoking and drinking are prohibited inside the temple complex.
- Do not pollute or damage Temple premises.
- English, Gujrati, and Hindi languages are well spoken and understood by
Best Time to Visit
Winter is the best time to visit Somnath Temple between October to March. The
temperature remains really nice and you will be able to enjoy the place to