Mallikarjun Jyotirling Temple is situated on Shri Shaila Mountain by the banks of the Patal Ganga, Krishna River in Kurnool district Andhra Pradesh. The Linga of the presiding deity Lord Mallikarjuna Swamy is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva. The presiding deities of Mallikarjuna Temple are Mallikarjuna (Shiva) and Bhramaramba (Devi). In the Temple’s architecture you could see the depictions of great Hindu epics-Ramayana and Mahabharata. This is the only Jyotirlingas where you are allowed to touch the idol, which is not prevalent in any other temple.
Anyone, irrespective of caste, creed, or religion can perform Abhishekam and
Archana to the Mallikarjuna Linga. The unique feature is that you can touch the
Linga and perform the Puja yourself. It is the common faith that anyone who
worships this Linga is forgiven of all their sins and is blessed with wealth and all
his / her wishes are realized. In the Karthigai month, if there is a full moon day;
Jvalathoranam is performed in the temple. There is a belief amongst people that
anyone who views the Jvalathoranam, gets all his sins forgiven.
- Mallikarjun Jyotirling Temple is well connected to Air and Railways. The
nearest airport is Rajiv Gandhi International airport at Hyderabad and is
202 kms away. The nearest Railway Station is Markapur which is 80 km
- The Temple opens at 4:30 AM and closes at 10 PM.
- 6:00 AM to 3:30 PM and 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM is the time for free or
- 6:30 AM to 1 PM and 6:30 PM to 9:00 PM is the time for special Darshan
where you have to take a ticket of 50 Rupees.
- Mahamangala Aarti starts at 5:30 AM in the morning and 5:00 PM in the
evening. The ticket fees are Rs. 200 per person.
- Suprabhatha Darshanam daily takes place at 5:00 AM. The temple
charges Rs.300 per head.
- Belts, Mobile phones, ladies handbags, Cameras and Shoes are not
allowed inside the temple.
- Shoes and slippers are needed to be taken off before entering any place of
- Take bath and wear clean clothes before entering the Temple.
- Smoking, Alcohol consumption, and Non-Vegetarian food are not allowed
in the temple premises.
- Beggary shouldn’t be encouraged by pilgrims as well as tourists.
- Always carry your identity card.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Mallikarjun Jyotirlinga is in the winter, between November
and March. The weather is very pleasant at this time and the temperature hover
between 12 to 30 Degrees. The festival of Shivratri is celebrated here in a big
way in February-March.