The Haji Ali Dargah is quite famous place in Mumbai and is one of the most prestigious Islamic symbols. The Architecture of the building reflects the styles and patterns of Mughal and Indo-Islamic culture and the Dargah measures 4,500 sq. meters in space and is 85 feet tall. Right in front of the Dargah is a marble courtyard with the central shrine, and the main mosque is covered in red and green sheets. The Mosque has beautifully sculpted marble pillars with kaleidoscopic patterns and minarets sentinel the shrine in the centre, making the monument a grand sight for all. The best thing about the Dargah is it welcomes people from all parts of the world without restrictions of caste, creed, and religion. Some people pray for wealth while other pray for health, children, marriages, etc. have their wishes being granted at all the times.
Apart from visiting the Dargah, there are various other things to do as well. There are markets located close by if you are an avid shopper-the best places would be Crawford Market and Fashion Street. If you enjoy serenity and happen to be a nature lover, you can decide to unwind at the beach at Mahim Bay.
- As Haji Ali is in Mumbai, it is well connected by every possible means of transportation. The Haji Ali Dargah comes on the way to Worli and is situated right next to the Worli sea-link. Local transport such as B.E.S.T buses, auto-rickshaws, and taxis can be hired to reach the spot.
- The Mosque can only be reached during low tide.
- Keep your shoes outside and enter the mosque naked feet.
- There is no Entry fee.
- Though, Marathi is the local language, you will be comfortable in Hindi as well as English
- The Mosque opens at 5.30AM in the morning and closes at 10.00PM.
- Photography inside the Mosque is not allowed. However, you could take pictures outside the Mosque.
- Your legs and shoulders must be covered properly before entering the Mosque.
- Don't throw the non-environment friendly materials (plastic polythene etc) on your way.
- Try to maintain cleanliness and don’t throw away litter on the path.
Best Time to Visit
Haji Ali can be visited during any time of the year depending when you are comfortable.